1. Black Swan: Director Darren Arronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler) directs Natalie Portman in a movie about a ballerina and her archrival. The preview has an awesome Rosemary's Baby vibe, and it's been getting great buzz in the blogosphere. I absolutely cannot wait. I'll be there opening weekend.
2. The Social Network: Director David Fincher tells the dark story of the beginning of Facebook. While Benjamin Button was bloated and overdone, Fincher has done great work in the past (Zodiac, Fight Club) Another one with great buzz.
3. Another Year: Director Mike Leigh is one of the great treaures of modern cinema. I love his naturalistic portraits of life in everyday Britain. I also think perhaps the worst Oscar snub of the decade was the lack of nomination for Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky for Best Actress in 2008. Lesley Manville is getting similar buzz for this one, and it also has old Leigh favorite Jim Broadbent and Imelda Staunton.
4. True Grit: The Coen Brothers entry of the year. They made my favorite movie of the year last year (A Serious Man). This is a remake of a John Wayne movie and stars Jeff Bridges. I'm intrigued.....
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. So this probably won't end up being in the top 5 of the year, but I really can't wait for it. I've really enjoyed every Potter movie since Part 3, and I can't wait to see how they (begin) to wrap it up on screen.
I'm also looking forward to: The King's Speech, The Way Back, The Fighter, Rabbit Hole, Never Let Me Go, and Biutiful.
Anyone else? What has you salivating from the upcoming season?