Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quick Oscar Wrap-Up

So, after looking back at ceremony, here are a few thoughts.

What I Liked:

-The thematic format. I thought it was cool to go through the process of making the movies, and it seemed to move the awards through fairly quickly, at least in the beginning.
-The presentation of the acting awards by the former winners. I did miss the acting clips a little, but the format was really poignant. I don't know if it should be used every year, ,but it worked well to change it up.
-Tina Fey and Steve Martin presenting the screenplay awards. Can they co-host next year?? Please??
-Kate Winslet's dad whistling.
-Dustin Lance Black's (screenwriter for Milk) speech
-Anne Hathaway singing with Hugh Jackman.

What I Didn't Like:

-The "tributes" to animated, action, and romance movies. What's the point of showing long montages of movies that you didn't even nominate?? So Joe Shmoe can feel a connection to the Oscars.
-The musical number with Beyonce. Not necessary, and especially not that it included tributes to Mamma Mia! and High School Musical 3.
-The honorary award to Jerry Lewis. Can't we just cut the honorary award? It would actually make the ceremony clock in around 3 hours.
-No shockers in the big catergories. I respect all the choices, but its always fun to see at least one surprising win, and there really wasn't one.

What I Sort of Liked

-Hugh Jackman and his opening. It was pretty funny, but it didn't blow me away. As a host, Jackman also did a pretty nice job. As I said above, I'm still voting for Tina Fey and Steve Martin for next year.....

No comments:

Post a Comment